Think Spring! Are you imagining a thick and creamy carrot soup? Me neither. We are in the middle of a huge snow storm as I type these words. And last week’s nor’easter left us cold and in the dark for two days. Thinking Spring is hard when bundling in layers and cranking up the heat. So making this creamy carrot soup packed full of veggies was an exercise in kicking my brain into Easter Bunny, new life, and sunshine mode.
This dairy free creamy carrot soup is special enough for a holiday soup course, but easy enough for a weeknight meal.
- 1 T olive oil or butter Use ghee for Whole30.
- 3 medium leeks white parts only
- 1 lb carrots
- 1/2 lb fingerling potatoes
- 1 rib celery
- 5 c vegetable or chicken broth I used chicken broth.
- 1 1/2 t dried tarragon leaves, crushed I used fresh.
- salt to taste
- 1/4 t pepper or white pepper
- 1/4 c finely chopped watercress or additional tarragon for garnish
Thinly slice carrots, white parts of leeks, and celery. Quarter the potatoes.
Use a large heavy soup pot. Bring ingredients to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until carrots are very soft (about 20 min).
In a blender or food mill, puree soup in batches. Reheat before serving.
Garnish with watercress or tarragon.