I made this Chocolate Cherry Valentine’s Cake to share with people that I love. My husband had a piece (he doesn’t have a sweet tooth), a friend had a piece (he was only visiting for a few hours), and my toddler had two mini pieces (he ate all of his dinner two days in a row!). But that was the best I could do with the sharing.
The cake is obviously meant to be made for Valentine’s Day. The chocolate is rich and decadent, but not overwhelmingly sweet. The cherries make it romantic and a little extra special. They add a little moisture-packed flavor punch. If you’re not a fan of cherries, I’m sure any frozen berry will do. The recipe says to use a doily and powdered sugar to decorate. I wasn’t sure the cake would be moist enough without frosting so I bought some…just in case. And hey, worst case scenario, it never hurts to have a tub of frosting in your pantry. As you can see, I stuck to Granny’s original recipe because the moisture/sweetness level from the cherries and sour cream was perfect without my just-in-case frosting (which I now look forward to eating with a spoon, should the need arise).
You should definitely make this beautiful and delicious chocolate cherry valentine’s cake to impress and share with someone(s) you love this Valentine’s Day. Or make the cake for yourself. I ate the whole thing, aside from the four pieces I spoke of above, and I don’t regret one single slice, bite, or the handful of crumbs from that 9 inch cake pan. I like to think that Granny was smiling down, sweet tooth shining bright, as I made her Chocolate Cherry Valentine’s Cake, shared it with a few loved ones, and ate the rest for myself.
Chocolate Cherry Valentine’s Cake
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 squares unsweetened Baker’s chocolate melted (I couldn’t find squares. I used 12 little mini bricks from the bar)
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 c frozen cherries, thawed, drained
- 2 T confectioner’s sugar
- 1.5 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/8 t salt
- Heat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, beat batter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla and chocolate.
- In another large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour.
- Fold in cherries.
- Scrape into lightly greased and floured 9 inch heart or square shaped baking pan.
- Bake 45 min or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 20 minutes. Unmold and cool completely.
- Decorate with confectioner’s sugar dusted over doily (I used one of Granny’s handmade doilys :))
Original recipe from Land of Lakes