These Snickerdoodles are Everything
I cannot believe I have lived this far into my twenties plus a decade and have not made Granny’s snickerdoodle cookies until now. I feel like in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy steps out into the color. Go make these cookies. Currently.
Prep time: 20-25 min. Total Time: 30 min. Yields: 4 dozen
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1 c shortening
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 t cream of tartar
- Combine 1 T sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cream shortening and gradually add 1/12 c sugar, beating well. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift together four, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in a medium mixing bowl. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and cool on wire racks.