When I saw that the main ingredient of tomato marinated lamb was condensed tomato soup, I had to really let the idea of making this recipe marinate. A recipe with processed canned soup as a main ingredient did not seem like a Granny move. It seemed more like the move of a lazy bachelor craving a hunk of lamb meat. I was tempted to replace the soup with a can of doctored up diced tomatoes or replace the lamb with a hot dog.
Tomato Marinated Lamb
Prep time: 15 min. Total Time: 3.25 hrs. Serves: 6-8
- 3 lb leg of lamb
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 c water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 t onion salt
- 1/2 t basil leaves
- 1/4 t oregano leaves
- dash of salt
- 1.5 T vinegar
- 1-2 T brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan for 3 hours until thermometer reads 175F for medium-well done.
- Meanwhile, combine soup, water, seasonings, and vinegar in saucepan. Simmer 2-3 min, stirring often.
- Brush some of this on lamb as it roasts every 15 minutes during the last hour
- Remove meat to platter.
- Measure 1T of lamb drippings (I just poured a whole bunch) and brown sugar into remaining soup mixture. heat and serve as gravy.